Each year, St John’s College receives more applications that we have places available. We are now accepting applications for places for Semester 2 2016 and Semesters 1 and 2 2017.
To give yourself the best possible chance of success, it is imperative that your application is carefully completed. St John’s College accepts applications year round. Most students come into residence in Semester 1, however, vacancies occur throughout the year. Please contact the College if you have any questions. We are currently accepting applications for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate residential places.
Our Selection Criteria
We assess applications using the following criteria:
- Academic merit
- Community engagement, and cultural and sporting achievements
- Interest in college life
- Motivation and energy
- Service ethic
- Leadership ability
- Distinctive talents
We consider your home location in our assessment. Students from rural and regional Queensland, and those from interstate or overseas will be given special consideration. We give priority to students from the University of Queensland and the Queensland Conservatorium of Music, however, we also accept applications from students at the Queensland University of Technology and Griffith University, especially those from regional and rural areas.
Before you apply
- Come and visit the University and St John’s. You can attend a UQ Open Day, participate in a student-led tour of the College, talk with our Student Leaders, our Dean or our College Warden. This will help you to get a feel for life at St John’s. The 2016 UQ Open Day for the St Lucia Campus is on Sunday 7 August 2016. If you’re unable to attend the Open Day, contact our Admissions Officer on (07) 3842 6600 to arrange an alternate time for a tour.
How to apply for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate places
- Complete and lodge the forms online and pay your application fee. Click here to apply online.
- If you are granted an interview with the Warden, you will be contacted by College staff. Interviews are usually arranged between April and November. Most are conducted at the College, however, the Warden conducts interviews in Toowoomba, North Queensland, Rockhampton, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast. In special circumstances, telephone interviews can be arranged.
- For Semester 1 entrance, most provisional offers are made in January. If you are offered membership of St John’s you must sign a membership agreement. This is a legally binding agreement in which you commit to the responsibilities and privileges of College life and the financial obligations for a full academic year (two semesters). A College place is not guaranteed until the membership agreement is signed and received at St John’s and the appropriate deposits have been paid. If you do not accept your place by the date stated on your letter of offer, it will lapse.