College History

College History
The Archbishop of Canterbury,The Most Reverend and Right Honourable Michael Ramsey, dedicates the Baker Building (also known as Goodbury) on 16 March, 1965. The building was named after the Reverend Edward Morgan Baker, first Warden of the College
At St John’s College, we proudly celebrate our history which stretches back 
more than 100 years. We also look forward to a strong future and to creating 
many more positive milestones.

1911

St John’s College is founded by Archbishop St Clair Donaldson

1912

St John’s College opens at Kangaroo Point consisting of three buildings – Edale, Patmos and The Lodge

1920

Annexe is added to the College at Kangaroo Point

1921

St John’s College Students’ Club is formed and the College library opens

1926

The first presentation of the Old Collegiates’ Cup for sporting achievement

1927

The Old Johnian’s Association is formed

1939

The current College site is chosen at the St Lucia campus

1946

Goodbury is acquired by the College at Kangaroo Point

1956

St John’s College moves to St Lucia

1958

Annexe block is built

1963

Goodbury is built

1966

Twickenham is built

1977

St John’s College Buttery Bar opens

1981

The College Chapel and the Music Room complex are completed

1983

The first academic prizes and scholarships are awarded and the first Academic and Professional Dinner is held

1987

The 75th anniversary of the College opening is celebrated, the first Honorary Fellows installed, the St John’s College Foundation established and Cripps Court is completed

1990

The first female members of the College are admitted, and Sharwood Court opens

1991

Morgan Centre opens

1993

Foundation Court is completed

1999

John Cripps Tower and Hall Paterson Court open

2000

St John’s College wins all five principal cups for sporting and cultural activities

2005

Fire destroys Edale

2006

Edale reopens

2011

The College celebrates its centenary, the Jubilee Building opens

2013

John Morgan retires after 31 years as Warden

2014

Patmos block is completely refurbished

2015

The College celebrates 25 years of co-residency

2016

The College celebrates 60 years at St Lucia